    SubjectRe: initrd and NFS
    hpa@transmeta.com (H. Peter Anvin)  wrote on 20.05.97 in <5lsjkv$oqs$1@palladium.transmeta.com>:

    > Followup to: <199705200614.IAA18314@lrc.di.epfl.ch>
    > By author: Werner Almesberger <almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch>
    > In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
    > >
    > > - shared libraries: I think it would be great if we had some means
    > > to generate a customized libc without recompiling, e.g. scan all
    > > the executables for symbols, then copy the relevant modules from
    > > the system's libc to a new, smaller libc. Right now, it's either
    > > static linking or a lot of guesswork (and hours of libc
    > > recompilation). Does this sound feasible ?
    > >

    > I actually wrote a tool to do this while working for Yggdrasil. The
    > bottom line is that it isn't worth the hassle: even with the very
    > small spectrum of binaries that we were using, it only cut down libc
    > by some 10-15%, and you may have to recompile it if you add any more
    > binaries to the pool you want to execute...

    I think the Debian boot-floppies package does something similar to good
    effect, working from a PIC libc.a. Of course, it also helps a lot to have
    an integrated swiss-army-knife type of program that does nearly everything
    needed, all in one program, all fancy options deleted. I _think_ Bruce
    Perens wrote both, but don't quote me on that.

    If you're interested, look at ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ or
    http://www.debian.org/, the sources should not be hard to find. Or ask me
    and I'll try to dig it up :-)

    MfG Kai

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.024 / U:2.520 seconds]