    SubjectRe: initrd and NFS (H. Peter Anvin)  wrote on 20.05.97 in <5lsjkv$oqs$>:

    > Followup to: <>
    > By author: Werner Almesberger <>
    > In newsgroup:
    > >
    > > - shared libraries: I think it would be great if we had some means
    > > to generate a customized libc without recompiling, e.g. scan all
    > > the executables for symbols, then copy the relevant modules from
    > > the system's libc to a new, smaller libc. Right now, it's either
    > > static linking or a lot of guesswork (and hours of libc
    > > recompilation). Does this sound feasible ?
    > >
    > I actually wrote a tool to do this while working for Yggdrasil. The
    > bottom line is that it isn't worth the hassle: even with the very
    > small spectrum of binaries that we were using, it only cut down libc
    > by some 10-15%, and you may have to recompile it if you add any more
    > binaries to the pool you want to execute...

    I think the Debian boot-floppies package does something similar to good
    effect, working from a PIC libc.a. Of course, it also helps a lot to have
    an integrated swiss-army-knife type of program that does nearly everything
    needed, all in one program, all fancy options deleted. I _think_ Bruce
    Perens wrote both, but don't quote me on that.

    If you're interested, look at or, the sources should not be hard to find. Or ask me
    and I'll try to dig it up :-)

    MfG Kai

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.021 / U:12.808 seconds]