SubjectRe: SCSI disk devices
On Mon, 5 May 1997 19:31:44 -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 19:33:34 -0400
> From: Eric Youngdale <eric@andante.jic.com>
>
> If I get a clear indication that this is the direction we want
> to go, then scsidev can be cleaned up and enhanced (making it volume
> label aware is one enhancement I wanted to add, especially now that
> ext2 supports volume labels). It also should be made filesystem aware
> too, I think so that it can recognize various types of filesystems
> (this is a prerequisite to being able to snarf the volume labels).
>
>I had always thought that the right approach would go far beyond
>scsidev; if you have a volume management daemon that would automatically
>do the right thing based on the volume ID (pretty much all filesystems
>have them now: ext2, iso9660, even MS-DOS FAT), then who cares what the
>device name is?

This is what I want to see....a daemon to handle it would be a very good
idea.

Only thing is you would need SOME type of support in the kernel for the
linux root partition to be able to work from a label.

>If properly managed, we could manage to completely hide block device
>names from the user altogether, and let it be all managed from a
>user-mode daemon. This would obviously be a lot of work, but I fancy
>the end result would be really cool. :-)

Well I don't think that is a complete possibility. The scsi problem
eventully needs to get fixed. Sometimes you just WANT to work with a raw
block device (a la dd if=/dev/sda)

Elite MicroComputers 908-541-4214 http://www.psychosis.com/emc/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.030 / U:0.488 seconds]