    SubjectRe: SCSI disk devices
    On Mon, 5 May 1997 19:31:44 -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

    > Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 19:33:34 -0400
    > From: Eric Youngdale <eric@andante.jic.com>
    >
    > If I get a clear indication that this is the direction we want
    > to go, then scsidev can be cleaned up and enhanced (making it volume
    > label aware is one enhancement I wanted to add, especially now that
    > ext2 supports volume labels). It also should be made filesystem aware
    > too, I think so that it can recognize various types of filesystems
    > (this is a prerequisite to being able to snarf the volume labels).
    >
    >I had always thought that the right approach would go far beyond
    >scsidev; if you have a volume management daemon that would automatically
    >do the right thing based on the volume ID (pretty much all filesystems
    >have them now: ext2, iso9660, even MS-DOS FAT), then who cares what the
    >device name is?

    This is what I want to see....a daemon to handle it would be a very good
    idea.

    Only thing is you would need SOME type of support in the kernel for the
    linux root partition to be able to work from a label.

    >If properly managed, we could manage to completely hide block device
    >names from the user altogether, and let it be all managed from a
    >user-mode daemon. This would obviously be a lot of work, but I fancy
    >the end result would be really cool. :-)

    Well I don't think that is a complete possibility. The scsi problem
    eventully needs to get fixed. Sometimes you just WANT to work with a raw
    block device (a la dd if=/dev/sda)

    Elite MicroComputers 908-541-4214 http://www.psychosis.com/emc/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.041 / U:0.052 seconds]