    SubjectRe: loop driver (was Loop Encryption)
    > Sorry if this has already been overdiscussed.

    I don't think it has, but feel free to move it off the list
    and into personal e-mail if you want.

    > (A) This issue has nothing to do with law. It's US Regulations
    > that are the issue. Regulations can be changed at a whim (and
    > this year, encryption is not a munitions issue but a commerce
    > issue).

    I'm not a lawyer. Laws and regulations are for my purposes
    the same - breaking them can have dire consequences.

    > (B) The regulations are totally ambiguous.

    <sigh> no kidding. Just like the CIA web pages (not a joke)

    > You might argue that linux is an encryption item. If so, you're
    > full of shit.
    > for an example of what might happen if this ever goes to court.

    My stand is simple - Linux has encryption hooks in it _NOW_ (v2.1.36)
    and I want to remove them. I also want to add support for things
    like loadable loop compressors (like PPP has BSD compression module).
    I want the results of this to be freely distributable.

    BTW, I'm about 90% finished the kernel code. I've documented the entire
    driver too, and have been looking for a possible race bug. I've finished
    the first module for the transformation "none", and will do one for XOR
    for kernel distribution (it is a good example of how to pass data to
    a transformation module). I'll have to patch both "mount" and "losetup"
    too before the kernel patch is practical though.

    Andrew E. Mileski
    Linux Plug-and-Play Hardware Support
    XFree86 Matrox Team

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:7.796 seconds]