    SubjectRe: On the subject of the VFS layer (was Re: VFS questions)
    On Sat, 3 May 1997, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

    > Uh, yeah. Known problem. Both Stephen and I know about it, but as you
    > said, it requires changing the VFS layer, and then fixing all of the
    > filesystem code, and we've been both too busy. The ext2 error already
    > does the checking... there's just no way to report it up to the VFS
    > layer. If someone wants to take fixing this up as a project, you're
    > right it's long overdue.
    > Sean, you apparently know enough kernel programming to have at least
    > figured this out; you want to try give a hand at fixing it? Or Ingo,
    > you had independently figured this out as well, and having seen the
    > other kernel patches you've done, I'm sure you'd be able to do it....
    > Anybody else interested?

    Yeah, I'm game. I've been kinda looking for something to hack on for a
    while now, and I think I've found it =)

    Since there seems to be a lot of discussion about the VFS layer at the
    moment on linux-kernel, perhaps we should form linux-vfs to discuss the
    future shape of the VFS layer, to try and unclutter this list a bit.
    Unless there's already a list for this which I've missed. Tom? Dave?

    > (Delegation is a wonderful thing, especially when you're too hosed and
    > too busy. :-)

    ain't it just? =)

    J. S. Connell | Systems Adminstrator, ICONZ. Any opinions stated above | are not my employers', not my boyfriends', my God's, my | friends', and probably not even my own.
    PGP key at

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.022 / U:19.252 seconds]