    SubjectRe: Kernel Panic: aic7xxx_free
    On Wed, 28 May 1997, Doug Ledford wrote:

    > > > Couldn't Get A Free Page .....
    > > > Kernel Panic: aic7xxx_free (aic7xxx_free) Couldn't find a free SCB.
    > >
    > > I experienced the same problem wit 2.0.30.
    > > 2.0.30 brings a lot more i/o performance than version < 2.0.30
    > > AFAIK due to enhancements I've seen in the buffer management.
    > The enhancement in the buffer management that you speak of has been
    > resulting in a *lot* more "Couldn't get a free page..." errors than it used
    > to. When these happen at the wrong get what we have
    > here. In this case, all of the currently allocated SCBs in the aic7xxx
    > driver were in use, the mid level SCSI code queued out another command,
    > aic7xxx_queue() attempted to allocate another SCB to handle the request, the
    > allocation failed with a couldn't get a free SCB message, and the driver
    > paniced. It currently doesn't know what to do if it can't get memory for an

    The simple solution here is to increase the numbers in
    /proc/sys/vm/freepages, such that your "couldn't get a free page" messages
    stop happening. Just echo 3 bigger numbers into that file. Depending on
    how much RAM you have available, and how busy the system is, you might
    want to reserve a few MB of atomic allocations, just to be safe.

    Jon Lewis <> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
    Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/message.
    Florida Digital Turnpike |
    ________Finger for PGP public key_______

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.020 / U:36.156 seconds]