    > Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 08:02:53 -0700 (PDT)
    > From: Christoph Lameter <>
    > Spammers can also look at the archives of the linux mailing lists
    > which are found in a lot of places. I cannot see any difference
    > between a archive and my gating the stuff into usenet.
    > There is a huge difference, a spammer can more easily acquire tons of
    > addresses anonymously without having to go through subscribing to
    > various mailing lists, they just need a news feed. Essentially Usenet
    > does their work for them, this is why I hate it so much.
    > A spammer needs to go through some external amount of effort to grab
    > things off of a mailing list archive site (be it web based or
    > whatever), but with usenet it requires no effort, they just get it,
    > and since this is the easiest mechanism it is the one they are most
    > likely to use.

    There are people selling lists of up to around 30M Email addresses.
    The guys that do that WILL go through a little trouble to get
    themselves "the largest" list they can find.

    As an experiment I once tested that I could find 100k addresses in
    about an hour. 10 minutes script-designing and an hour of CPU/disk
    time. Running that script several days in a row will give you up to 1M
    addresses, but after that you'll have to start doing more complicated
    things. Like browsing mailing list archives.

    Roger Wolff.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:0.996 seconds]