SubjectRe: name change for cd rom devices
  Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 09:42:20 -0700
From: "Larry M. Augustin" <lma@varesearch.com>

MAKEDEV has been calling the CD ROM devices /dev/scd since at least
MAKEDEV 2.2 1995/05/21. The name most people see is /dev/scd, and
given that it's been that way for at least 2 years, I think changing
the kernel message probably has the least impact.

People have also seen the sr name in every kernel boot as well, and since
mounting a cd often doesn't require giving the device name, they may have seen
it equally often.

I'd just like to see the two usages made consistent.

I agree that consistency is good. However, it's then inconsistent to have the
kernel driver for the "scd" device called "sr", all the functions named sr_, th
module named "sr.o", and so on. I think it's unfortunate that MAKEDEV changed
the name of the devices without pushing the change through properly. As far as
the kernel is concerned, the device is "sr", and I don't think the kernel
message should be changed unless the driver and other uses are also changed.
I'd rather have the minor inconsistency we have now between kernel and devices
on some systems, than the kernel itself be made inconsistent.

Personally, I think "sr" is a perfectly fine choice and see little reason to
change it. I'd rather see MAKEDEV create both for a transition period, and
then eventually remove the "scd" usage.

But if it is necessary to change to "scd", then it should be done right.

Leonard

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.067 / U:0.164 seconds]