    SubjectRe: New UseNet Gateway under construction
    The most spam I got was from people scanning my webpages with some sort of
    gizmo. And they even got on to some mailing list I moderate through this
    technique which made it even more problematic. Have no idea how to protect
    against that without making my webpages more difficult for users.

    >There is a huge difference, a spammer can more easily acquire tons of
    >addresses anonymously without having to go through subscribing to
    >various mailing lists, they just need a news feed. Essentially Usenet
    >does their work for them, this is why I hate it so much.
    >A spammer needs to go through some external amount of effort to grab
    >things off of a mailing list archive site (be it web based or
    >whatever), but with usenet it requires no effort, they just get it,
    >and since this is the easiest mechanism it is the one they are most
    >likely to use.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.019 / U:2.404 seconds]