    SubjectRe: New UseNet Gateway under construction
       Date: 	Wed, 28 May 1997 08:02:53 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org>

    Spammers can also look at the archives of the linux mailing lists
    which are found in a lot of places. I cannot see any difference
    between a archive and my gating the stuff into usenet.

    There is a huge difference, a spammer can more easily acquire tons of
    addresses anonymously without having to go through subscribing to
    various mailing lists, they just need a news feed. Essentially Usenet
    does their work for them, this is why I hate it so much.

    A spammer needs to go through some external amount of effort to grab
    things off of a mailing list archive site (be it web based or
    whatever), but with usenet it requires no effort, they just get it,
    and since this is the easiest mechanism it is the one they are most
    likely to use.

    Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
    199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s ////
    ethernet. Beat that! ////
    David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.019 / U:31.456 seconds]