SubjectAMD K6 works at 90 MHz but fails at 166 MHz?
Hi recently bought an AMD K6 to speed up my compile cycles.
My old motherboard, an ASUS TP4XE didn't handle 166 MHz, the screen
stayed black, no sync signal, no beep, nothing. But with 90 MHz, it
worked, was quite a bit faster, yet I bought a 166 MHz processor so I
want to run it at 166 MHz. So I tried to use it with a Soyo motherboard
a friend lended me. Linux hangs reproducibly during the SCSI scan. Yet
Windoze boots fine and stays up for hours.

How can this be? I mean, the K6 seems to be compatible, otherwise
Windoze couldn't run. I tried 2.0.30 and 2.1.40 kernels with different
SCSI drivers (for my NCR 810).

I tried another motherboard, too, an I-Will board with on-board Adaptec.
While this board survives the SCSI scan, it hangs when I try to log in.

I understand that the AMD/Cyrix patches only add AMD specific code to
the CPU identification so they can't help me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Clearly, I can't give the motherboard
back as it works fine with Windoze 95.

Felix

--
Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean
you're any wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.040 / U:0.772 seconds]