SubjectRe: ping fails under 2.1.39
On Fri, 23 May 1997, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Also, the method used by the kernel to delay I/O (writing to an unused port)
> > can (read will) lead to other problems. You should not perform a bus
> > operation if you intend to allow the bus to settle. It makes more glitches
>
> It isnt waiting for the bus to settle. If you need to wait for bus events
> you've got FAULTY ISA bus hardware, you just have to give the poor little
> NS8390 a breather. Similarly for some other I/O chips that are specced for
> stuff like 2MHz operation.

[snip]

While we're talking about strange Ethernet card behavior, I have the
following problem:

I have an SMC Ultra ISA Ethernet card. I also have a SoundBlaster 16.
Both work beautifully *except* when I am transferring huge amounts of data
from a remote system into mine. When I do that, any sound that is playing
slows down tremendously, but the frequencies of the sound stay the same -
that is, it sounds like sound card interrupts are getting lost such that
the system only manages to get half the data it should to the sound card,
but the card itself keeps playing (at the proper rate) whatever happens to
be in its DMA buffer. This only happens when lots of data are coming in;
I can transfer a huge amount of data out and it doesn't happen at all.

The system is a SuperMicro P55STE motherboard with a Pentium-133.

Kevin "Frostbyte" McCormick fbyte@sub-zero.mit.edu
Massachusetts Institute of Technology kmccorm@mit.edu

Linux: The choice of a GNU generation.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:1.880 / U:0.088 seconds]