    SubjectRe: initrd and NFS
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: Werner Almesberger <>
    In newsgroup:
    > - shared libraries: I think it would be great if we had some means
    > to generate a customized libc without recompiling, e.g. scan all
    > the executables for symbols, then copy the relevant modules from
    > the system's libc to a new, smaller libc. Right now, it's either
    > static linking or a lot of guesswork (and hours of libc
    > recompilation). Does this sound feasible ?

    I actually wrote a tool to do this while working for Yggdrasil. The
    bottom line is that it isn't worth the hassle: even with the very
    small spectrum of binaries that we were using, it only cut down libc
    by some 10-15%, and you may have to recompile it if you add any more
    binaries to the pool you want to execute...

    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See for web page and full PGP public key
    Always looking for a few good BOsFH. ** Linux - the OS of global cooperation
    I am Baha'i -- ask me about it or see

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.021 / U:2.880 seconds]