    SubjectRe: dynamic partitions
    On Mon, 19 May 1997, Jan Kratochvil wrote:

    > Hi!
    > > Jan Kratochvil wrote:
    > > > P.S.: When we're at another large memory copying, will someone the write page
    > > > flipping support so that during CD burn the data will no longer be copied
    > > > 6 times? Count with me:
    > > >
    > > > [disk DMA->kernel buffer]
    > > > 1. buffer -> userland mkisofs
    > > > 2. mkisofs -> kernel pipe buffer
    > > > 3. kernel pipe buffer -> userland buffering tool
    > > > [>10MB buffer to deal with starvations during compiles]
    > > > 4. userland buffering tool -> kernel pipe buffer
    > > > 5. kernel pipe buffer -> userland cdrecord buffer
    > > > 6. userland cdrecord buffer -> scsi layer buffer
    > > > [scsi layer->scsi controller DMA]
    > >
    > > To get this to work better, you could:

    If I remember my OS's at all QNX uses token-passing instead of actually
    recopying memory (as do some other RT OS's). Why can't this be
    implemented in Linux? [I've been working on a userspace form of this for
    message passing at high internal speed.... need _FAST_ graphics calls to
    get queued to graphics thread ASAP so thread doesn't end up sleeping most
    of the time]. I can't see why it couldn't be implemented in kernelspace
    (only possibly using buffer copying <-> DMA memory when actual
    memoryspace is not available to DMA device). Security though? Dunno.
    Apparently QNX doesn't have a problem with this (but I'm going with old
    DDJ articles [canna remember which issue] and sales gunk from QNX).

    Shared memory-based token passing with full SMP support isn't difficult
    to implement - just time consuming <ouch>. Haven't a clue if my stuff
    could work in the kernel (and I won't have time to check it for a few
    days whilst I try to catch up to the current kernel).

    FWIW - I use a single processor 486 system. I just believe that any code
    built for one processor should either be SMP-friendly or easily rebuilt for

    [also I seem to have a dead motherboard or something - Linux crashes
    1/day and no other OS survives longer than 5-15 minutes [Win97, WinNT 4,
    DOS]]. I have SERIOUS respect for Linux 'cause of this....]
    (I don't get paid well enough to buy a new motherboard/CPU/floppy disk/...)

    Quick vote:
    If anyone goes about putting efficient token-based message passing
    into the kernel - please make a user-open equivelent (or back-callable
    so that messages can be passed between threads)!!!!!!

    - Is FAT32 support around yet? If not, any ideas where I could start?
    (the FS fascinates me - I don't actually have the space to
    build a FAT32 partition though)

    - is the Win95+ CD-kluge handleable? (they use a different
    system for storing long names on burnt CD images and I lost
    the names for the backups for my system 'cause they were burned
    by Windows/95 <grrr!!>)
    [Not by me - I woulda kluged _ANYTHING_ together to burn
    nice standard ISO-format+RockRidge CD for Linux]

    > > Of course, the ideal would be to DMA directly from the disk
    > > to the CD across the PCI bus. Hey they might be on the same
    > > SCSI controller, then the data never has to leave the
    > > controller... :-).
    > :-) Are the current SCSI disks so smart so they are able to be commanded
    > to intiate connection disk->cdwriter? I don't think so... Especially
    > various cheap IDE-like disks...

    SCSI drives ARE intelligent enough for this.... and they are _FAST_ when doing

    EIDE isn't smart enough, but SCSI could handle it in the first version.
    [it's up to SCSI-III these days isn't it?]
    .... of course just 'cause the standard allowed it doesn't mean any
    manufacturers actually _SUPPORTED_ it.

    - Teunis

    ... though I have yet to encounter a SCSI drive that does NOT support
    direct controller-moderated device-to-device transfers. (does Linux
    support this? OS/2 did on my controller (Adaptec 1542B) since 2.0)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.038 / U:15.136 seconds]