SubjectRe: initrd and NFS
The only objection I can think of to using initrd to nfs mount root is that
if you can do an initrd, why bother remounting root? It seems to me,
a better solution would be to put the bare essentials in initrd, and
then nfsmount /usr and /home (or whatever) and not bother remounting root.

This is what has to be done anyway if you want the NFS mounts to be
read only, which is the situation when you have lots of "NFS root" clients.
(You'd have a separate root for each machine if you really need it.)

The situation where NFS root is *really* needed badly is on machines
that don't have enough ram to use initrd. Otherwise it is somewhat faster
to keep root in a ram drive than NFS mount it anyway.

Steve
ssd@nevets.oau.org

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.073 / U:0.404 seconds]