    SubjectRe: Alpha 500 vs Bi Ppro.
    Elliot Lee wrote:
    > > you mean you actually have two pentium pro processors? I ask simply
    > > because I've never seen it written that way. That would make a big
    > > difference as well. Get two alpha chips and the alpha would probably win.
    > > Or try something besides compiling code.
    > That doesn't make any sense. At some point you MUST execute compiled code,
    > whether you are executing the program itself or the interpreter... An
    > interpreter will almost always be slower, independant of platform.

    My favorite benchmark is "compile the kernel". As Gcc requires lots
    more CPU time to generate alpha-code, some people argue that this is
    not a valid test. When all I'm interested in is compile performance
    because I'm developing on the machine it may be a valid test after
    all, but if I'm going to run e.g. "latex" on a regular basis, then the
    results of the compile jobs matter.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.017 / U:5.096 seconds]