SubjectRe: the ftp uploading/downloading problems
Date

Melissa Johnson <mjhnsn@u.washington.edu> writes:
>abort and had to kill the ftp session totally from elsewhere. Sometimes
>netstat will show a data connection still established while it is dead;
>other times it will not show any connection at all. Either way, tcpdump
>shows a black hole and nothing goes through.

I don't have any reports of this problem on my list yet, unless you
are refering to reports of getting stuck in close(). Did I miss some
mail, or have I just been misinterpeting someones problem report?

>If there isn't a fix, can someone point me in the appropriate direction to
>try and track this problem down?

We're going to need more data here. First, what's your networking hardware?
Second, is there any pattern to the lockup events? That is, does it
happen when doing sessions between strictly local machines, if not are
there particular sites against which FTP is likely to lock.
Next, what does "netstat -not" show when the connection is dead but
the application is still going? What does it show after you stop
the application? If the socket sticks around, what does it show say
after 10 minutes, 20? A few hours?

Finally, the most useful thing to me would be a tcpdump of a session
that locks, starting from before the lock. I know this can be hard to
arrange when the problem is occuring without definite pattern, but it
will be quite hard to track this thing down without it.

Thanks,

--
Eric Schenk www: http://www.dna.lth.se/~erics
Dept. of Comp. Sci., Lund University email: Eric.Schenk@dna.lth.se

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.066 / U:0.100 seconds]