    SubjectRe: Out of memory kernel deat
    Date
    Mike Jagdis writes ...

    > On Mon, 12 May 1997, Thomas Koenig wrote:
    >
    > > I'd propose a fairly simple solution: send a SIGURG signal to
    > > whatever process has a signal handler for it installed.
    > >
    > > This process could then do whatever it wants to, such as allocating
    > > more swap, killing off an errant process or send an E-Mail to
    > > the admin to go out and buy more RAM.
    > >
    > > Policy is for userland.
    >
    > I seem to remember that AIX has a signal specifically for this
    > situation (SIGDANGER?). I seem to remember that this came up
    > last time the out of memory thread surfaced too.
    >
    > The bottom line is that there is no single algorithm, simple
    > or complex, that will consistently pick a non-stupid process
    > to kill for everyone.
    >
    > Might I suggest that SIGDANGER be introduced and used to warn
    > everything that they damn well better try and sort themselves
    > out? If things don't get better we can try killing things - perhaps
    > starting with things that don't have a SIGDANGER handler, followed
    > by things that didn't reduce their footprint in response to
    > SIGDANGER?

    AIX is a wonderful OS to bring up in this debate, and has been mentioned
    several times before and IMO is an excellent example of what we should
    *not* do.

    SIGDANGER is essentially useless because it is AIX specific; >99% of
    software ignores it so it gains you nothing. AIX then goes on to the
    kill the largest process solution, which as several people have pointed
    out from experience is a really bad solution. It is in fact on my list
    of Top 10 Things I Dislike Most About AIX.

    Tim Hollebeek | Disclaimer :=> Everything above is a true statement,
    Electron Psychologist | for sufficiently false values of true.
    Princeton University | email: tim@wfn-shop.princeton.edu
    ----------------------| http://wfn-shop.princeton.edu/~tim (NEW! IMPROVED!)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.021 / U:0.124 seconds]