    SubjectRe: Out of memory kernel deat
    Thomas Koenig said:
    > I'd propose a fairly simple solution: send a SIGURG signal to
    > whatever process has a signal handler for it installed.
    > This process could then do whatever it wants to, such as allocating
    > more swap, killing off an errant process or send an E-Mail to
    > the admin to go out and buy more RAM.
    > Policy is for userland.

    My previous reply doesn't seem to have made it to the list.

    I proposed the following algorithm for oem situation.

    Igonoring process 1, give "death points" to each process, for the following

    X points for every page rss
    -Y points for every second of execution time
    Z points for not having uid=0
    Z/2 points for not having euid=0

    The process with the biggest score gets killed.

    The important processes, tend to be:
    owned by root
    old (started at boot).

    The factors X,Y,Z should be settable via /proc, for those that always work
    as root, the might set Z very small. If the above tends to kill the Xserver,
    setting X smaller, and Y larger will always kill a younger process and protect
    the system daemons and server (which is always older than the first X app).
    Setting X,Y,Z above you can get the BSD, or SunOS behaviour.

    There might me other factors to include, but they don't occur to me at the

    I think the above is a solution in the spirit of linux. If we use a fixed
    set of rules to kill a process, somebody will always be able to produce a
    situation that kills an important process. Let them change the weighting.

    Jon. <,>

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.019 / U:39.564 seconds]