SubjectRe: Out of memory kernel deat
On Mon, 12 May 1997, Thomas Koenig wrote:

> I'd propose a fairly simple solution: send a SIGURG signal to
> whatever process has a signal handler for it installed.
>
> This process could then do whatever it wants to, such as allocating
> more swap, killing off an errant process or send an E-Mail to
> the admin to go out and buy more RAM.
>
> Policy is for userland.

I seem to remember that AIX has a signal specifically for this
situation (SIGDANGER?). I seem to remember that this came up
last time the out of memory thread surfaced too.

The bottom line is that there is no single algorithm, simple
or complex, that will consistently pick a non-stupid process
to kill for everyone.

Might I suggest that SIGDANGER be introduced and used to warn
everything that they damn well better try and sort themselves
out? If things don't get better we can try killing things - perhaps
starting with things that don't have a SIGDANGER handler, followed
by things that didn't reduce their footprint in response to
SIGDANGER?

Mike

| Mike Jagdis | Internet: mailto:mike@roan.co.uk |
| Roan Technology Ltd. | |
| 54A Peach Street, Wokingham | Telephone: +44 118 989 0403 |
| RG40 1XG, ENGLAND | Fax: +44 118 989 1195 |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:1.995 / U:0.008 seconds]