    SubjectKernel Debugging Hardware

    I believe it would be possible for <$50 to make a small device that could
    sit on a serial port and look for kernel OOPS messages and record them
    so that they can be examined after a reboot.

    One possible implementation would use a serial eeprom and a pic chip
    as a ring buffer and controller. It could be set up to just remember
    the last several K of messages, or stop recording before overwriting
    the first OOPS it sees, or something like that.

    Would anyone be interested in a device like this?
    If so, I will begin desigining it and/or researching what alternatives
    would be cheapest... If I get no responses, I'll just leave it
    on my drawing board as something that I might some day find a use for...

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.019 / U:8.944 seconds]