    SubjectRe: Solaris source {linux-kernel}
    On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Dan Hollis wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Michael Nelson wrote:
    > > On 30 Apr 1997, stephen farrell wrote:
    > > > otoh, what worries me about it, however, is i think this makes solaris
    > > > look like a joke to the microsoft people. NT source code is highly
    > > > protected, and it is an easy assumption that there is a direct
    > > > relationship between protection of code and value of said code (albeit
    > > > largely wrong).
    > > It's available for education license (has been for many years), just like
    > > Solaris now is.
    > Really? Has anyone actually purchased it? If so, who specifically?
    > -Dan

    Yeah the program is called the Microsoft Developer network and it's a
    quarterly subscription service with varying levels of support. At the
    level we were subscribed (about $1100 a year if I remember correctly,
    could have been more) you get source, checked builds, normal builds, all
    patches, developement tools, and evironments, sql server, exachange and
    back office, and you get those in all of the supported languages. In all
    it's totals about 60 cd's these days.

    They also have a monthly beta program as well which is free to
    qualifying sites.

    the developer network has many price levels which include fewer and/or
    different or more products. It's really quite extensive but when you're
    subscribed to tech net (their tech support library monthly) the beta
    progam and the developer network you end up quite a lot of stuff every
    month, not all of which is useful.

    All that being said the utility of having access to source for windows nt
    hasn't been nearly so useful as having the latest patches and regular
    updates on the tech support library.

    I don't enjoy rebuilding my NT machine any more than my linux machine, so
    the desire to renistall hundreds of megs worth of junk every month or so
    just isn't there.

    Joel Jaeggli
    Academic User Services
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
    Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
    answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
    confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -- Charles Babbage

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.019 / U:12.240 seconds]