    SubjectRe: ext2 filesystem corruption?!?!??
    On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Doug Ledford wrote:

    # Your choice of low-level controller driver for the attached hard
    # drives can greatly
    # impact this problem. I had a machine with an IDE drive and a Triton II
    # chipset. When I enabled the Triton DMA support, I would get corruption,
    # reliably, and under light load even. When I disabled the special drivers,
    # the corruption went away.

    Indeed. I, too, suffered a plague of ext2 fs errors on an old FX
    mobo. I disabled "PCI Bridge Optimization" and the problem permanently
    went away.

    This machine is now a very heavily loaded mail server (200+ sendmail
    processes at any given time, 150K+ messages/day, lotsa and lotsa
    access in /var/spool/mqueue) and hasn't hiccuped yet <knock on wood> :)

    Granted, ext2 could probably use better error handling, but there's
    bound to be more to it than a resounding "ext2 sucks".

    Nicholas J. Leon <>
    "Elegance through Simplicity"