    SubjectRe: URGENT: A Plea to the owners of linux.dev.kernel
    I don't want to clutter up this mailing list with unneccesary verbiage but
    can I suggest a 'policy' within this list?

    First of all, the list is to discuss the Linux kernel and should have
    intelligent debate on Linux kernel features past, present and future as
    well as "here's a patch" and "oh dear, mine doesn't work" postings.

    Secondly a little etiquette. When "I can't build the kernel" or "where can
    I buy an electrical plug?" mails arrive how about answering them directly
    (ie off this list) politely and helpfully? These questions will always be
    asked on this list, there is no easy way to avoid that without moving away
    from creative anarchy. When first time users stop asking questions then we'll
    know that Linux is a spent force, the dumb questions are a positive sign of
    usage and growth. I know that they should read the manual/FAQs/mail archives
    but, hey we were all impetuous youths once (and some of you still are).

    Dave

    David A Rusling Principal Engineer
    European Semiconductor Applications Digital Equipment Co Ltd.,
    Engineering PO Box 121,
    Imperial Way,
    Worton Grange
    Reading RG2 0TU
    Linux, Alpha, StrongArm, PCI Tel: UK-(0)1734-204380
    Fax: UK-(0)1734-203133

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.021 / U:30.976 seconds]