SubjectRe: URGENT: A Plea to the owners of linux.dev.kernel

Dave> In article <199704021759.MAA00370@jenolan.caipgeneral>, David
Dave> S. Miller <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>> I think it is just as much of a mistake to tell a new user to go
>> blow even if he posts his legitimate questions here.

Dave> Nobody's suggesting this. I agree new users may have legitimate
Dave> questions, but it's clear (see below) that they do not have
Dave> legitimate questions _here_. All we're asking is that they be
Dave> nudged elsewhere.

>> As for the offtopic'ness as of late, the past few days have been
>> filled with "clueful postings" and in fact your posting here is the
>> first break in that spell. Touche'

Dave> Well, to further confuse the issue with some facts, let's in
Dave> fact look at the subjects of the past 3 days, shall we?

Before you start attacking people about these postings, please
remember that it is not clear to everybody what is kernel related and
what is not. If one person keeps posting junk in here after someone
told him/her politely that the postings are off topic, then you can
start complaining. Until then it is important to give people the
benefit of the doubt and remember that not everybody are expert kernel
hackers.

Of course some of the cases you mention are obviously not
related to the kernel, but some of the may actually apply to the
kernel or a kernel related problem. A RAID related problem for
instance may strictly speaking belong to linux-raid, but it may also
be of interest in here.

[snip]

Dave> Maybe you're reading a different list than I am, but for the
Dave> past few days I see one and ONLY one on-topic post. Sure, some
Dave> may be "clueful", but for another list entirely.

I have seen more than on on topic post, but well I do not read all the
postings and I do not have the time to follow all the lists - heck I
am not even sure of all the lists we have.

Jes

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.173 / U:0.052 seconds]