    SubjectRe: Solaris source
    > On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, David S. Miller wrote:
    > > I hear Solaris/x86 is selling like hot cakes these days anyways, so we
    > > have a lot to worry about it seems... 8-)
    > Speaking of which, now that we have:
    > SCO/Intel -> Linux/Intel
    > Linux/Intel -> Linux/Alpha
    > DU/Alpha -> Linux/Alpha
    > SunOS/Sparc -> Linux/Sparc
    > Solaris/Sparc -> Linux/Sparc
    > (Pardon me if I missed any)
    > running, especially the later two, are there any plans to get
    > Solaris/Intel -> Linux/Intel
    > working? David & Miguel's Sparc/Linux paper seemed to intimate that
    > Solaris emulation was not hard, even after SunOS emulation took all the
    > reserved slot thingie-whatsits. I'm curious, given that the four
    > applications which run on Solaris/Intel might, if runnable under Linux,
    > draw an entire 10 new customers to the Linux community. In the face of
    > this onslaught by Sun, no emulation suite is too low for us to consider.
    > 8^)

    Given that we've just released an alpha of Intel Linux emulation for
    Alpha Linux (pardon the pun) allowing you to run Intel Linux binaries
    such as Applix/Netscape, I wonder how much work Solaris emulation on
    Alpha Linux would be?

    Also, as a side note, our company strategy towards Linux on Alpha is
    to embrace it. It poses no real threat to Digital Unix, our experience
    is that we have made board/system sales because of Linux that we would
    not have made otherwise. Selling Alpha Linux systems has sometimes
    leveraged sales of Digital Unix servers. It really is a win-win
    situation for us.

    Linux is a good little operating system (I always liked the phrase
    'the operating system that could'). It may be going through a few
    growing pains (eg 2.0.* stability issues) but those can be fixed, and
    they are _growing_ pains and not _shrinking_ pains...

    David A Rusling Principal Engineer
    European Semiconductor Applications Digital Equipment Co Ltd.,
    Engineering PO Box 121,
    Imperial Way,
    Worton Grange
    Reading RG2 0TU
    Linux, Alpha, StrongArm, PCI Tel: UK-(0)1734-204380
    Fax: UK-(0)1734-203133

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.033 / U:37.632 seconds]