    SubjectRe: Solaris source
       From: Julio Sanchez <jsanchez@esegi.es>
    Date: 29 Apr 1997 12:48:06 +0200

    That would be silly of Sun. I do not consider Sun, HP, Digital,
    etc. as Linux enemies. I think that their success is good for
    Linux. And Linux success can only be good for them. They may see
    it as a menace, but they are shortsighted. In the long run,
    widespread use of Linux may keep their UNIX offerings viable
    against Microsoft's growth.

    Let's not fall pray to a "divide and conquer" strategy.

    Like other companies, SunSoft would like to continue to exist.
    SunSoft's existance depends upon things like Solaris selling well, if
    Linux poses any sort of threat to Solaris's sales they will strike
    back because without sales of Solaris, SunSoft would soon be history.

    Unlike some other Unix vendors, Sun's software department is not
    firmly engulfed inside their hardware department, they are a complete
    seperate entity, so thus cannot depend on hardware sales to get them
    out of a rut should Solaris sales go down considerably.

    Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
    199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s ////
    ethernet. Beat that! ////
    David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.023 / U:152.608 seconds]