    SubjectRe: New /dev/console and /dev/tty0
    Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:

    > In summary, while we created an `automatic' /dev/console, we lost the ability
    > to access the current virtual console (formerly /dev/tty0), or am I missing
    > something??

    When I wrote the change, my thought was that /dev/console would
    continue to work as before (it already was automatic) when there are
    the virtual terminal devices. However, I failed to bring this thought
    into the code.

    The concept of console is a bit vague here and in the source. In my
    view console is the device for managing the machine and where kernel
    messages go and from which you can get the single user shell
    prompt. Video and keyboard and the virtual terminal devices using them
    are just one fancy device driver among the serial ports and other
    terminal devices. Their only association with console is that they
    could be used as a console, just like most other terminal
    devices. /dev/console should not be relied for giving any virtual
    terminal. It can be relied to find the console.

    This is simple logic (albeit new with the introduction of alternate
    console devices): if it is true that

    virtual terminal is a console

    it does NOT follow that

    console is a virtual terminal

    Now, when we have no /dev/tty[1-9]* devices, I thought that best is to
    have /dev/console go automatically to any existing console device. The
    c 4 0 is pairs nicely with c 5 0, which is the tty of the current
    process, so I thought I keep using that.

    The only problem that I see is that programs rely on the old notion of
    console to find foreground virtual terminals. This can be alleviated
    by giving /dev/tty[1-9]* priority over serial consoles, so that they
    are /dev/console when both vt and serial consoles are used. Some
    people might not want that, but they are minority and still not worse
    off than before the serial console change.

    --
    ---
    Marko Kohtala - Marko.Kohtala@ntc.nokia.com, Marko.Kohtala@hut.fi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.019 / U:0.068 seconds]