    SubjectRe: procfs problems

    Here's my take on the procfs thing:

    I want to have my modules add things to /proc (char devices,
    directories, etc.) so I can talk to the kernel-land stuff from
    user-land. I'd like the communications to be fast, so will probably
    avoid ascii streams, but I might get tired of debugging that and opt
    for "easily machine parsable". I don't find writing PERL (and TK)
    scripts to present it to humans to be hard. In addition, this keeps
    some code bloat out of the kernel.

    I'd like to avoid gratuitous difference of philosophy from the rest of
    the stuff in /proc, so I want all that to think my way. B)

    I'm starting to think that /proc should be renamed /kernel/proc, and
    it should be called something like "The Kernel File System". Probably
    needs a better name though. ("Kernel Services File System"?, ...).

    -- Perry

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.016 / U:2.924 seconds]