SubjectRe: kernel structures 2.0.29->2.0.30
Programs like lsof use "non-public" data from the kernel, and therefore
have to expect to break when these structures change. This sort of thing
is really typical in lsof's history. In fact it has an install time
option to let you build multiple copies and have a wrapper script select
the right one. The "publicized" data structures have not changed.

Dean

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Marty Leisner wrote:

> > Some kernel structures did change in 2.0.30, if you can point me at a
> > copy of the lsof sources I'll take a peek and see what could have
> > caused problems. Or alternatively, recompile lsof and see if that
> > makes it work all of a sudden ;-)
> >

> Yes, I just got a newer lsof, compiled on 2.0.30, and it wouldn't
> work on 2.0.29...
>

> I think its bad to change structures in production kernels (IMHO), the
> 2.1 series is "dangerous", 2.0 shouldn't be.
>
> Alternatively, there should be some way to encode version information for
> changing structures (maybe this is a good concept).
>
> I far better see a program that uses kernel structures do something to compare
> runtime versions with compiled versions?
>
> This would mean some macro which is changed whenever the structure
> is changed...(an 8 bit quantity is sufficent) and some symbol someplace
> which is data with this number...
>
> I looked at the kernel include diffs from 2.0.29 to 2.0.30, and didn't
> see anything affecting structures size/alignment...just defines (unless I
> missed it).
>

> --
> marty
> leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com
> The Feynman problem solving Algorithm
> 1) Write down the problem
> 2) Think real hard
> 3) Write down the answer
> Murray Gel-mann in the NY Times

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.032 / U:0.068 seconds]