SubjectRe: UPS link language (for SmartUPS of APC) WANTED
On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, John Gluck wrote:

> > Hi everybody,
> > I want to write a driver managing SmartUPS of APC for a UNIX os.
> > Does anybody have the commands (simple character sended to the UPS)
> > required
> > for the SmartUPS family of American Power Conv.
> Hi
> I have an APC Back-UPS 400. There are no commands or anything to send to
> it.
> The way it works is that a cable connects to the serial port but it does
> not send data.
> Some of the control pins are used to indicate the status of the UPS.
> The same could be accomplished by connecting to the switch pins of the
> game (joystick) port of the PC.

The SmartUPS series has two different cables that can be used. One in
dumb mode that makes it act like a BackUPS (so no special features) and
another that actually makes a serial connection and does transfer data to
indicate status and to receive commands (smart mode). There was a driver
for the Smart UPS mode mostly finished at one time on sunsite under
/pub/Linux/system/backup, but I can't remember the exact name, and from
what I've heard, APC decided to start changing their codes on these things
about the time the SmartUPS-VS came out. I would try and get PowerChute
for SCO and run it under IBCS2 if you want the things to be fully
functional (I haven't tried this myself, but it should be possible). Last
I knew, APC wasn't too keen on the idea of a linux program to handle their
UPSes, but that could have changed.

* Doug Ledford * Unix, Novell, Dos, Windows 3.x, *
* dledford@dialnet.net 873-DIAL * WfW, Windows 95 & NT Technician *
* Springfield, MO and surrounding * Usenet news, e-mail and shell account.*
* communities. Sign-up online at * Web page creation and hosting, other *
* 873-9000 V.34 * services available, call for info. *

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.028 / U:2.520 seconds]