    SubjectRe: Sys V TLI for Linux?
    On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, W. Reilly Cooley wrote:

    > Does anyone know of an implementation of Sys V TLI for Linux? If not, anyone
    > want to get crackin'? Informix is considering porting some of their DBMS
    > software to Linux, and requires this for an easy port. It would move Linux
    > in closer competetion with commercial Unices to have such significant
    > software as a database from one of the top three DB companies.

    You could just pull the TLI/XTI over sockets emulation from iBCS and
    make it a separate module. It's not a real STREAMS based TLI but
    does most of what is needed - although anything that expects to be
    able to push arbitrary STREAMS modules on to a transport end point
    is in trouble. It would make more sense for Informix to use a user
    space TLI over sockets library or to write a sockets version of
    their net code. Although I seem to remember that they have their
    own STREAMS module to link in to the host kernel (which is a
    bugger for portability). If they _really_ need a full STREAMS
    stack they had better join the LiS project sharpish because their
    no-STREAMS competitors will have a good head start :-).

    | Mike Jagdis | Internet: |
    | Roan Technology Ltd. | |
    | 54A Peach Street, Wokingham | Telephone: +44 118 989 0403 |
    | RG40 1XG, ENGLAND | Fax: +44 118 989 1195 |

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:20.692 seconds]