SubjectRe: [Crypto] Re: ftp.kernel.org vs. ftp.funet.fi
   Date: 	Sun, 20 Apr 1997 14:05:35 +0200
From: Olaf Titz <olaf@bigred.inka.de>

Then does this apply to the loopback device? It has hooks for
encryption where you can semi-easily (some source tweaking necessary)
plug in a DES module.

I'd hate to see the official kernel distribution "Bones"ed.

Me too, I haven't investigated the loop device case, so I don't know
how closely this law could apply to it.

> There were changes many months ago to Glibc specifically because of
> this problem.

As I assume the FSF lawyers know this stuff better than I: what needed
to be taken out?

The front end hooks for crypt has to be taken out of the main source
tree (this tree can't be subject to export laws for ease of
distribution), the secondary crypt glibc tarball (which is subject to
export laws for distribution) adds the hooks to the code which needs
it, this is how they avoided the problem.

Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s ////
ethernet. Beat that! ////
David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.121 / U:0.012 seconds]