SubjectRe: [Crypto] Re: ftp.kernel.org vs. ftp.funet.fi
>>    We should specify an interface with which a loadable module,
>> developed outside the U.S., could provide crypto functions, and
>> other modules or parts of the kernel could elect to use them if
>> available.
>>
>> Won't work, there are laws that say it is also illegal to export
>> anything which "allows non-exportable crypto to be plugged in
>> easily".
>>
>> There were changes many months ago to Glibc specifically because of
>> this problem.
>Hmm.

>Linus creates a kernel with encryption in it.
>He encrypts it with an international encryption algorithym (blowfish for
>eg)
> or even a few of them... you never know who the CIA has bought. He
>exports the encrypted code.
>Someone in (for example) Finland de-encrypts it and put it one their site.

>This essentially creates a catch-22 (or double bind in Psychology)
>situation for the government. They have been avoiding telling the world
>how much they can crack.... if they want to prosecute Linus they would
>have to reveal what they can crack.

I have always been under the impression that the CIA would just shoot someone who put them in such a position. But maybe I'm wrong and the CIA is really a caring organization with the interests of American residents at heart, and that it's officers are fine law abiding citizens who would never kill anyone.

Russell Coker

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.224 / U:0.744 seconds]