       Date: 	Wed, 2 Apr 1997 17:33:58 -0500 (EST)
    From: Bri <>

    Maybe a lot of the people wish to actually do kernel development, but
    haven't a clue how.. I'd love to work at it, and I have some ideas (stupid
    as they may be), and a rather decent knowledge of C.. however, I haven't
    the first clue how to get started in kernel hacking. I've been watching
    the list for about four months and reading code, etc., and just not
    getting anywhere... Problem is, I can't afford to go out and get a book or
    anythin. I'm on an incredibly limited budget, and $40 books just aren't on
    the list of things I can get. So, what this boils down to is, are there
    any free (i.e. Internet, whatever) resources I can get to help me learn?
    If not, perhaps one of you developers would start a newbie list or
    something where curious ones like me can sign up and be taught?

    Well, the problem is that this takes time, and we don't necessarily have
    a lot of time. There's also the issue that not everyone who signs up is
    willing to be taught. There's nothing quite so bad as someone who wants
    to be taught, and wants to be taught for free, but which isn't willing
    to learn when you try to spend the time to teach them....

    There is the Linux Kernel Hacker's Guide, but there isn't yet a section
    that talks really addresses head-on the topic "so you want to do kernel
    development".... People have written books on the subject, but it
    takes time to write this kind of documentation, and we need to have
    people who are willing to donate that kind of time to write

    If people *are* interested, please talk to me or (preferably) Michael
    Johnson, about how you can contribute a new section to the Linux KHG.
    You can take a look at the KHG at:

    - Ted

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.042 / U:0.280 seconds]