    SubjectURGENT: A Plea to the owners of linux.dev.kernel
    Date
    On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Matthew Barbour wrote:

    > No intent to flame here, but yes it is off subject. These type of issues
    > are better discussed on the Newsgroups.

    and

    Sometime, Christian Lameter wrote:

    > Get Debian from ftp.debian.org...
    >
    > But what does this have to do with the kernel? I have not seen kernel

    and

    On 28 Mar 1997, Neal Becker wrote:

    > About 75% of the stuff being posted to this list has nothing to do
    > with linux kernel. Can we please stop using this as a place to ask
    > arbitrary sorts of linux question? I understand that sometimes one
    > isn't sure if a problem is kernel-related, but we've gone way beyond
    > that.

    These are but three of the many complaints coming into the list over the
    past few days.

    The kernel developers' list has been riddled with off-topic, inappropriate
    posts for a while now, and the trend is getting much worse. This is a
    very real problem, especially given the propensity of Linux users and
    developers never to rebuke an inappropriate posting, or even when rebuking
    the poster to offer an answer to his question, thereby offering absolutely
    no incentive for newbies et al. to go to the help groups rather than to
    the friggin' kernel developers' list.

    Those of us who lurk here, silently soaking up the wisdom put forth by the
    developers in the hopes of someday being kernel-clueful are, by and large,
    distraught over this turn of events. Increasingly, the kernel developers
    are turning away from public fora for kernel development towards private
    one-on-one mail and private lists. I don't blame them one bit for this; I
    would much rather they be able to continue kernel development, and private
    lists are, in the present case, probably the only way they can do this.
    But while I can understand and sympathize with the motivations behind
    this trend, I can't help but bemoan it.

    What, then, can be done? Simply put, linux.dev.kernel should become at
    least quasi-moderated. Linus, Alan, maybe David if he's polite (8^), and
    the rest of the developer crew should have carte-blanche access. Others
    who have proven their cluefulness by posting ten(?) or more approved
    articles are given posting privileges. Everyone else, including myself,
    has to have their submissions moderated.

    If a step similar in effect to this one is not taken, then the days of
    public and open kernel development will soon (and may already be) over.
    I'm not saying that this step is the only one which can solve the problem,
    but some step must be taken.

    Yggdrasil? Rutgers? Does anyone out there even care anymore? Am I the
    only one who enjoys (enjoyed) reading clueful discussions on
    linux.dev.kernel?

    --
    Todd Graham Lewis Linux! Core Engineering
    Mindspring Enterprises tlewis@mindspring.com (800) 719 4664, x2804

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.024 / U:60.048 seconds]