Subject[Crypto] Export is easier than you think
ITAR-controlled munitions can be exported from the US to Canada with
only a Shipper's Export Declaration. Once in Canada, the rules are much
less stringent.

http://insight.mcmaster.ca/org/efc/pages/doc/crypto-export.html
describes some experiences with Canadian export law concerning
cryptography.

http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ECL.html is an extract from the guide of
controlled items.

It seems most likely that Linux would be exempted by the statement:

---
General "Software" Note
This List does not embargo "software" which is either"
a.Generally available to the public by being:
1.Sold from stock at retail selling points, without restriction,
by means of:
a.Over-the-Counter transactions;
b.Mail order transactions; or
c.Telephone call transactions; and
2.Designed for installation by the user without further
substantial support by the supplier; or
b.In the public domain".
---
Linux is "sold from stock" (whatever) by telephone call transactions,
and is certainly not accompanied by substantial support.

If this plan is interesting, I'll volunteer to get the necessary
permissions/permits. (Especially as I'm <18, which should keep me from
getting into trouble if I goof up. :)

Andrew Lewycky
plewycky@oise.utoronto.ca