    Subject[Crypto] Export is easier than you think
    ITAR-controlled munitions can be exported from the US to Canada with
    only a Shipper's Export Declaration. Once in Canada, the rules are much
    less stringent.

    http://insight.mcmaster.ca/org/efc/pages/doc/crypto-export.html
    describes some experiences with Canadian export law concerning
    cryptography.

    http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ECL.html is an extract from the guide of
    controlled items.

    It seems most likely that Linux would be exempted by the statement:

    ---
    General "Software" Note
    This List does not embargo "software" which is either"

    a.Generally available to the public by being:
    1.Sold from stock at retail selling points, without restriction,
    by means of:
    a.Over-the-Counter transactions;
    b.Mail order transactions; or
    c.Telephone call transactions; and
    2.Designed for installation by the user without further
    substantial support by the supplier; or
    b.In the public domain".
    ---

    Linux is "sold from stock" (whatever) by telephone call transactions,
    and is certainly not accompanied by substantial support.

    If this plan is interesting, I'll volunteer to get the necessary
    permissions/permits. (Especially as I'm <18, which should keep me from
    getting into trouble if I goof up. :)

    Andrew Lewycky
    plewycky@oise.utoronto.ca

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.021 / U:89.780 seconds]