Subject[Crypto] Export is easier than you think
ITAR-controlled munitions can be exported from the US to Canada with
only a Shipper's Export Declaration. Once in Canada, the rules are much
less stringent.
describes some experiences with Canadian export law concerning
cryptography. is an extract from the guide of
controlled items.

It seems most likely that Linux would be exempted by the statement:

General "Software" Note
This List does not embargo "software" which is either"
a.Generally available to the public by being:
1.Sold from stock at retail selling points, without restriction,
by means of:
a.Over-the-Counter transactions;
b.Mail order transactions; or
c.Telephone call transactions; and
2.Designed for installation by the user without further
substantial support by the supplier; or
b.In the public domain".
Linux is "sold from stock" (whatever) by telephone call transactions,
and is certainly not accompanied by substantial support.

If this plan is interesting, I'll volunteer to get the necessary
permissions/permits. (Especially as I'm <18, which should keep me from
getting into trouble if I goof up. :)

Andrew Lewycky