    SubjectRe: Various errors including TCP bug...
    On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Randy Jay Yarger wrote:

    > Howdy, my system is a a PPro 200 with 64MB of RAM and Adaptec SCSI card
    > (full boot messages below). I've been having odd problems with the system
    > for a couple of months now, leading up to a complete hard disk curruption
    > last week (which I would have avoided if I had the newest e2fsck. Get it!)
    > Any way, the weirdness hasn't stopped, and I want to catch it before my
    > new root disk gets zapped (and I'm just plain tired of going to reboot it
    > several times a day).
    > >From looking at newsgroups, FAQs, etc it seems that RAM may be a problem
    > and/or my Adaptec SCSI card, or maybe something else that I'm missing
    > completely. I ran the chipmunk ram test on 16MB of my RAM the other day,
    > but since the machine is a high volume Web and e-mail server I wasn't able
    > to shut it down to test all of the RAM.

    I use to have RAM corruption problem gone unoticed by memtest86-1.2,
    and it was right after adding two 16MB SIMM modules. (32->64). Be aware of
    not mixing SIMM's of different brend/fab date, just this simple fact can
    cause big problems on lousy (read PC-AT design) non-ECC hardware. If you
    put some money with a PPro, better go for ECC.
    Also try to slow down timings on your chipset bios setting..

    Hope this helps.

    Philippe Strauss <>
    PGP key fingerprint: 0F 35 40 AC 10 15 8A 5D B6 EF B1 73 B5 5E C8 70

    Homepage & PGP key:

    Psychiatrists say that one out of four people are mentally ill. Check
    three friends. If they're OK, you're it.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.025 / U:3.524 seconds]