SubjectRe: procfs problems
On 15 Apr 1997, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > Those of you interested in discussing design flaws with the current procfs
> > filesystem, take a look at
> >

> > I invite comments.
> Well regarding your /proc/cpuinfo format, I think we could fix this
> problem by just making sure that the very first line of the cpuinfo
> holds the port name.
> Something like:
> /proc/cpuinfo:
> port : {i386,alpha,sparc,ppc,mips}
> And then, if people want to parse any of the extra information, they
> should know the architecture specific information on the CPU before
> attempting to parse it.

It should be standardized. Right now there's *no* standardization in the
kernel, which makes parsing the information the biggest pain in the ass.
Having to write 5 different parsers for the same information is *not* the
way to go.

Note that I'm not necessarily complaining about that each architecture has
its own information, I'm complaining about crap like this:

BogoMIPS : 163.57

bogomips : 35.84

BogoMips : 24.88

HELLO??? McFly???? Does this make ANY sense?