SubjectRe: executable stacks, a few suggetions

> > I've sent a private Email to David suggesting that this feature
> > could be enabled only when running with root privs (making it
> > SUID/SGID only is not enough as a SUID program could run dozens of
> > other programs which may be buggy). Then even if the feature was
> > totally incompatible with Objective C (not that it is) this wouldn't
> > be a problem as AFAIK no-one uses O-C to write system programs or
> > other programs which need to run as root.

Do you really think it would be elegant and orthogonal etc. to suddenly
have some programs fail mysteriously only when run as root, just because
they happened to be written in Objective C / Pascal / whatever? IMHO, if
this feature is that desperately needed, a cleaner solution would be to
ban these programming languages from Linux altogther. And the crowd
cheers... NOT!

I realize the proposed solution could contain a workaround for these
programs, I'm just protesting against the "wouldn't be a problem" bit...

Johan Myreen
jem@iki.fi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.109 / U:0.184 seconds]