    SubjectRe: 2nd Linux kernel patch to remove stack exec
       From: solar@sun1.ideal.ru
    Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:26:28 -0300 (GMT)

    I wonder if anyone actually read that stuff about my GPF handler in
    the second patch I posted... Once again: _no_ programs should be
    broken by using such a patch. It is only that those executing code
    on the stack will have stack execution permission automatically
    enabled, and will not be protected from buffer overflow exploits,
    which is not critical for user level programs written in Objective
    C.

    Ok, I might be missing something, if so I do apologize for some of my
    comments thus far.

    When you say "those executing code on the stack will have stack
    execution permission automatically enabled" you do realize that any
    program which has a signal delivered to it will "execute code on the
    stack" via the kernel itself? Since just about every program I know
    of which is of any utility takes a signal now and then during normal
    operation, doesn't this turn off your protection in enough cases to
    make it of little use?

    Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
    199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s ////
    ethernet. Beat that! ////
    David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.017 / U:95.756 seconds]