    SubjectRe: Kernel testing
    On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Oliver Xymoron wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Alan Cox wrote:
    >
    > > Linux 2.1 is to a great extent that stuff ready for testing. If you want
    > > to put a bunch of people together to write the "brutalize kernel" suite
    > > please do - it would be a great project for use on all OS's
    >
    > A formalized testing process would be great - I'm envisioning a collection
    > of people with spare machines, each with slightly different configs,
    > downloading a kernel patch and a test suite patch, building the kernel,
    > rebooting, and then building and running an automated test suite for a day
    > or two ("make test"). The test suite might consist of a giant Perl script
    > coordinating a bunch of programs like crashme, lmbench, TCP/IP exercisers,
    > scripts to abuse various file systems and devices, and so on. It could
    > even include automatic reporting to a central database of some sort.
    > Hopefully with enough participants, a decent subset of possible kernel and
    > hardware configurations and features could be checked and we'd have some
    > data to point to for people with reliability concerns ("This kernel has
    > been tested on 150 different configurations for a total of 7200 hours
    > without crashing, enjoy.").

    FWIW, this is a great idea, and I'll help (not volunteer to
    coordinate, but help) write this thing if there is an interest ... The
    one caveat I see is that we should create a test suite that will run in
    approx. 6 hours. I would be (and I think so would others) willing to run
    this thing on my office machine, if I can set it going when I leave in the
    evening and have my machine back when I come in the next morning ...

    -Seth

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:30.304 seconds]