    SubjectRe: TCP Stall
    On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, David S. Miller wrote:

    > Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 21:35:26 -0500 (EST)
    > From: "Richard B. Johnson" <>
    > You may be in for a surprise.
    Yes! This is a very good surprise!
    > Please note that the actual developers expressed just as much grief
    > about that unfortunate thread as you are.

    You have reconfirmed my confidence.

    > Now, how does the machine that received a window of zero
    > know that buffers are available again? I watch the Sun
    > send a SYN. It receives an ACK with the new window. I
    > don't know if this is the correct thing to do according
    > to the RFCs, but it works. It is likely that the routing
    > machine, i.e., the one that has buffers loaded with data,
    > trying to free them by getting the data squeezed into the
    > PPP link, should be the machine to send a SYN when
    > buffers are available again.
    > There were two sets of bug reports for 2.0.29 and pre2.0.30, one dealt
    > with the TCP logic incorrectly setting the window to zero when it
    > should not have, the other was with incorrect Nagle and partial packet
    > handling.
    > I believe that Eric Schenk and myself have both addressed these issues
    > in what will soon be released as the next pre-2.0.30 patch set. I
    > would be interested if you can still reproduce your problems with that
    > kernel when it is released.

    Thanks. I haven't been using that kernel, I am glad that you have been
    working on this.

    > If you are referring in particular to 2.1.x kernels, Eric and myself
    > both know that the queueing logic in the TCP stack there is completely
    > fucked and we plan to work on it heavily, you will need to be a bit
    > more patient for things to get fixed in 2.1.x's TCP.

    I can be very patient as long as I know that something is being worked on.
    If you have any patches that __might__ work (sort of) in 2.1.x, I can
    contribute some time towards integrating them and testing. Patches that
    fail in such a complete way that I can't understand what is happening are
    not too useful. However, some that requre cuts and pastes to get the code
    correct can be useful. I am familiar with the network code and expert in

    Dick Johnson
    Richard B. Johnson
    Project Engineer
    Analogic Corporation
    Voice : (508) 977-3000 ext. 3754
    Fax : (508) 532-6097
    Modem : (508) 977-6870
    Ftp :
    Email :,
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.30 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).
    Warning : I read unsolicited mail for $350.00 per hour. Supply billing address.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.020 / U:17.156 seconds]