SubjectLILO/NT4/WIN95/LINUX on the same machine (Was: Re: LILO - NT and Linux)
Hi!

This is probably in some FAQ somewhere!

I've just spent some time investigating how one should NOT
install NT4 and WIN95 to get it to work with LILO and Linux.
Actually I've been looking into this ever since NT4 was released.
Below is a discussion about my setup (used on some 30-40 PC:s with
success).

To understand the following discussion you should know the difference
between
primary and extended/logical partitions. You can have 4 primary but you
typically have 3 primary and one extended to add more logical
partitions.
Knowledge of the annotation of partitions on IDE-drives;
/dev/hda1 /dev/hda2 /dev/hda3 /dev/hda4 primary
/dev/hda5 /dev/hda6 /dev/hda7 ... logical

I normally have lilo on the MBR (first sectors of disk) (MBR = Master
Boot Record)

Currently I have a setup where LILO (on MBR) boots;

1) /dev/hda1 - WinNT4 using NTFS
2) /dev/hda2 - Linux using ext2fs
3) /dev/hda3 - Win95 using DOSFS
4) /dev/hda4 - is an extended partition

5) /dev/hda5 - Linux /usr
6) /dev/hda6 - Linux swap
7) /dev/hda7 - WinNT4 using DOSFS (booted from Win95 startup)

Install order is this

1) Linux
2) WinNT - hda1
2) Win95 - overwrites MBR - need rescuedisk to fix this
3) WinNT - hda7 via hda3

Notes:

A) If there is no windows95 (or DOS) then it is possible to have NT4 on
hda1
use DOSFS and boot it from LILO (see D below).

B) You can NOT HAVE NT and WIN95 on primary partitions using DOSFS.
Win95 will fail to boot!

C) When you install NT on hda7, NT-install will install a loader on hda3
that will
offer you to start either win95 or NT. This solution is bad as booting
the NT
system will not be possible if Win95 krashes its partition.
Better to have LILO boot it directly.

D) It is important to let NT format the partition where it is to be
installed.
(Unless you have a working NT setup on the partition in question).
Particularly important when DOSFS is used. I've noticed that using
mkdosfs
under linux and installing NT on that trips NT into failing to boot
itself.

Ove

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.031 / U:1.028 seconds]