    SubjectRe: Now, why didn't we think of this before?
    On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, mdean wrote:

    Did I start all this? Damn, I'm sorry. How'd that get posted to this
    group? Oh, well. If I were in a more contentious mood I'd flame Mr.
    Icaza for re-posting my message to a different list. Really, it is a bit
    rude. I thought it a curious coincidence that I began noticing all these
    references to VMs and Java so shortly after I posted to the other group.

    Perhaps I should explain myself. Let me begin by saying that I was _not_
    suggesting we trash all of Linux in C and re-implement it in Java. I just
    thought it would be an academic experiment, the sort of thing that ones
    does just to see if it can be done. Really, my initial notion was to do
    it with JavaOS (BTW, does anyone know if JavaOS is really written in
    Java?), except for the fact that it is proprietary. Now, easier than
    writing a new OS in Java from scratch, and since some had talked about it,
    I thought it would not be too difficult to get other people to work on
    converting some of it into Java.. Really it would require _extensive_
    reworking, due to Java's limitations. Linux would be the base, but not
    that target. Then a descendent of Linux on the JavaStation? Or
    Java/Linux NCs when Sun releases the UltraJava chip? :-)

    The coolest OS on the coolest box? :-)

    While I'm at it, does anyone think we should alter the name of Linux to be
    LinuxOS ? :-)

    I'm making fun of myself now, but since I've been given the spotlight, I
    must perform. Anyway, I never asked to be exposed to ridicule by posting
    to the wrong list.

    My apologies for your time,

    Wil

    > > > From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
    > > > To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
    > > > Subject: Now, why didn't we think of this before?
    > > > Date: Tuesday, 25 March 1997 6:05
    > > >

    > > > And I wonder, why were we ever concerned about speed issues?
    > > >
    > > > Miguel.
    > > >
    > > > Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 10:16:50 -0800 (PST)
    > > > From: "W. Reilly Cooley" <wcooley@navi.net>
    > > > To: mach4-users@cs.utah.edu
    > > > Subject: Re: Portability
    > > >

    > > > I had an idea for an interesting project, which would provide
    > > > remarkable portability: A Java VM server for a Mach4 MK, which could
    > > then
    > > > run Sun's JavaOS, or any other OS written in Java. Considering that
    > > > JavaOS is not free, it would perhaps be a good excuse to implement the
    > > > Linux kernel in Java, as had been thrown around a bit. This second
    > > > project could draw also from the work done on MkLinux.
    > > >
    > > > Maybe when I return to school and have more time...
    > > >
    > > > What do you think?
    > > >
    > > > Wil
    > > >
    > > > ------- End of forwarded message -------

    Wil

    W. Reilly Cooley
    NakedApe Consulting & Navi.Net representative
    1509 NE 10th Ave., #104 Portland, OR 97232
    503 287-2165 wcooley@navi.net
    www.navi.net/~wcooley www.navi.net/~nakedape

    As a service, I provide analysis for viruses and poor grammar to senders
    of unsolicited commercial e-mail at a rate of US$250 per hour. Delivery of
    said correspondence constitutes a request for the aforementioned services
    at said price.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.041 / U:32.716 seconds]