    SubjectRe: MMX Technologie

    On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, Seth M. Landsman wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, Elijah L. Wright wrote:
    >
    > > > K6 is AMD's pentium-pro comeptitive chip, and it has MMX instructions.
    > >
    > > Hmm. Are the instructions compatible all the way down-to-the-wire with
    > > those from Intel?? Just a thought. Might be an easy way to build a
    > > really fast, inexpensive machine.
    >
    > I would assume so ... I know a few people with Cyrix or AMD based
    > Linux boxes ...

    I have an AMD 586 133 and a couple Cyrix 686P166+ Linux boxes, and they
    work great. The Cyrix is definitely much faster. There are a few things
    to consider though, Linux seems to have some problem with the cache on
    the AMD, it has to be disabled in some cases to get the BogoMips to read
    correctly. And the Cyrix has the same problem, but only during
    installation does the cache need to be disabled, Linux does something
    weird with the write-through. Cyrix's page has all the details. Other
    than that, they work excellent!

    Amy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:3.025 / U:0.824 seconds]