    SubjectRe: 2.0.30 - its all a numbers game, I tell ya!
    Date
    [To nod in the vague direction of placing this back on topic, people are
    working hard to make things stable enough for 2.0.30. Be patient! :]

    And to correct a false argument, (after all truth is the common thread in
    content of this list...)

    Someone mistakenly wrote:
    > N/N = 1 For all N
    > Therefore:
    > 0/0 = 1

    Nope:

    (for all N) N^2/N = N

    Therefore 0^2/0 = 0

    > Proof: (actually a conjecture)
    > Numbers from -N to +N are LINER, there is no discontinuity through zero.

    The last time I checked, 0^2 == 0, so this represents disproof by example.

    Linearity is always with respect to something else. In the case of the
    proposed conjecture the assumption was that the numerator and denominator
    are linearly related. In some cases this may be true. In this case,
    however, the relationship between the numerator and denominator is not
    defined. Consequently, the answer is UNDEFINED.

    Sorry not to chip in earlier, but I was busy training rocket scientists.. ;)

    Cheers

    Andrew
    http://parc.power.net/morgan/index.html
    [ For those that prefer FTP --- ftp://ftp.lalug.org/morgan ]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:2.368 seconds]