    From: (Olaf Kirch)
    Subject: Re: Linux 2.1.26 Compile error

    Concerning the problems with __start___ksymtab and friends: I experienced
    the same problems after upgrading to binutils-2.7.0.{3,9}, and they did
    not go away after upgrading to the latest bin86 package.

    After looking into the ld source, I found the place where __start
    and __stop symbols are generated, but my copy of ld failed to do
    so. Apparently, the binary package on sunsite is broken in this respect,
    because as I recompiled and installed, everything worked fine
    (use ./configure --host=i486-linux --prefix=/usr).

    There's one pitfall, though -- the kernel Makefiles check for the presence
    of encaps, and if it's there, invoke objdump with flags -k -q. These flags
    are no longer supported. Remove encaps, and the kernel will pick objcopy
    instead, which works flawlessly.

    Cost me a whole day this bugger:-)

    Olaf Kirch | La tache du voyageur n'est pas de detruire des legendes, | c'est d'en creer... La realite, c'est la monnaie de
    | ceux qui ne peuvent pas mentir. R. Dorgeles

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:0.104 seconds]