    SubjectRe: Interesting Technical Question...
    This is called checkpoint/restart, it's been done in other Unix systems
    for some time. It is mostly used in the super computing world. If
    you go off to implement it, a few words of advice:

    . Look at Unicos (I'll post man pages if you like), I think that
    one is widely used (for some definition of widely)
    . Sockets are hard/impossible. However, there is a useful hack
    for sockets that sometimes works. Checkpoint both ends of the
    socket at the same time. For cluster based applications this
    works fine.

    Kirk Bauer ( wrote:
    : Today, I was realizing that it would be nice to be able to take
    : a given process and basically save it to disk. This way, if you
    : have some big process that has been running for weeks and you must
    : reboot for some reason, you can save that process to disk and then
    : reboot. Once rebooted, you could reload that process from its saved
    : image...

    Larry McVoy (415) 933-1804

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:26.232 seconds]