    SubjectRe: MSR support for x86
    > I should think you would want it to be crw-r--r--, so that anybody can see
    > what they are running on. Perhaps the /dev/msr code should double check
    > that root is doing the write, so even if somebody can get past the VFS, they
    > still can't fry your CPU.
    > Also, what will this do on a SMP system? Just die, only set the first CPU,
    > set all of them?

    Yes, there need to be something reasonable. I do *not* think it is
    reasonable for random processes to even read the special registers --
    on some CPUs that could potentially give away dangerous information.

    I think /dev/msr on a multiprocessor should read the CPU the process
    is running on.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.022 / U:3.312 seconds]