    SubjectRe: swap space: an idea. Please comment.
    On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Riccardo Facchetti wrote:

    > Now the idea.
    > Why not have an (I called) "adaptive" or if you prefer (I don't :)
    > "dynamic" swap file, managed in kernel space, that can grow and shrink
    > when memory is needed and/or released by someone ?

    <description of this idea cut>

    > The idea still seems to me a good idea, but I have to say that I don't
    > have a good knowledge of the mm/ code, so this idea may be only a crazy
    > thing, I don't know.

    I beleive something like this can be done/has already been done as a daemon.
    The daemon would sleep most of the time, but once in a while (60
    seconds?) wake up and check the amount of free virtual memory. If not
    enough is availlable (user-configurable), then create a new swapfile (of
    size user-configurable, and only if there's enough disk space availlable).

    When there's plenty of free virtual memory (also user-configurable), then
    the daemon can remove a swapfile.

    This should be easy to code if it doesn't exists... I might even be
    interested in doing it :-)

    Christophe Dupre Universite de Montreal
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    "Nous ne sommes pas libres de ne pas etre libres, nous sommes obliges de
    l'etre" - Fernando Savater

    #include <disclaimer.h>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:4.460 / U:0.016 seconds]